Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A promise

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.
 – Matthew 25:35


Why do some people accept the killing of unborn children? Is it because they can't cry out as their lives are being cut short? Would we tolerate the killing of a baby that was born less than perfect or who was "unwanted" for other reasons?

Let's promise as a society that we will never kill another child in the womb or call that baby "unwanted". It is a matter of equality for all persons. It is a matter of love for the Christ within each of us.

The child growing in the womb is a hungry and thirsty stranger. Will we welcome him or her with the love and compassion that Jesus asked of us?

Abortion is never a "choice" for a civilized society. Every child is innocent and we must sacrifice as a society to welcome that child into the world that God has given us.

 + + +

We must teach children the virtue of chastity if we really love them and want them to live full and happy lives and then go on to their reward in heaven. Chastity is one of the treasures of Christianity that we have to offer the modern world. This virtue that has been ridiculed and trampled upon by the secular culture, is one of the greatest ways to show our love for God.

Chastity is not simply abstaining. It is not motivated by fear of disease or pregnancy. It is motivated by love of God and of ourselves. It is not based on saying "no" to the choices that the secular culture offers, but on saying "yes" to the choices that a life centered on Christ offers.

Chastity is a "yes" to love, to marriage, to parenthood and to life. It is time to unbury this hidden treasure of Christianity and let its light shine throughout the world.

 + + +

The alternative is this house of horrors that former Planned Parenthood director Abby Johnson describes in her account of working there late at night alone.
I walked in and heard the heavy door slam behind me.  It echoed as it closed.  The clinic had high ceilings and every noise echoed like you were in a cave.  It was silent…no creaks, no water dripping, nothing…totally silent.  So silent in fact, I could almost hear something…and I’m telling you, it almost sounded like babies crying.  I know that sounds crazy and I totally disregarded it at the time.  I ran up to the front of the clinic, away from the freezer where the babies were kept until the medical waste came to pick them up.  I didn’t want to be next to that freezer.  Did I really hear that?  Surely it was just my imagination.
This is the end result of the lie of "freedom" of "choice" that our society has bought into -- the haunting silent cries of the unborn.

Pray for the children who never felt the warmth of a mother's hug or a father's kiss.

Blessed Virgin Mary, out of love you said "yes" to God and life, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment